Led by Leon E. Popovitz, MD, a top orthopedic specialist in NYC, the comprehensive sports medicine team at New York Bone & Joint Specialists helps athletes at every level of competition. Our specialists provide all aspects of sports injury treatment, from physical therapy to surgical intervention. Our goal is to improve athletic performance, minimize the risk of future injuries, and help our patients get back to peak condition.
You don’t have to be a professional athlete to seek help from a sports medicine specialist. Proud to be recognized as a leader in sports medicine in NYC and the tri-state area, our physicians and physical therapists treat everyone from elite performers to rec league enthusiasts, ensuring that all athletes can play at their best.
Each of the New York Bone & Joint centers brings together expert specialists across multiple fields of orthopedic surgery, all of whom display the same level of dedication to the wellbeing of their patients. The ultimate goal of New York Bone & Joint Specialists is to provide impeccable care and peace of mind to every single patient we treat.
WHY CHOOSE NEW YORK BONE & JOINT SPORTS MEDICINE SPECIALISTS?
- Access to world-class joint specialists.
- Compassionate and comprehensive care for a range of conditions, from diagnosis to recovery.
- Conservative treatment coupled with expert surgical interventions ensure a complete recovery for every patient.
WHAT WE TREAT
Sports injuries can occur during a variety of activities, from a high-intensity competition to a casual weekend workout. Some of the most common conditions we treat are:
- Running injuries – Runners are often prone to overuse injuries such as iliotibial band syndrome, knee bursitis, achilles tendonitis, and stress fractures.
- Weightlifting injuries – Weightlifters may be at risk for shoulder and back injuries such as disc herniation, weightlifter’s shoulder, and SLAP tears.
- Skiing injuries – Skiers tend to suffer from ACL and MCL tears, spinal injuries, and fractures in the wrists and ankles.
- Basketball injuries – In basketball, the knees suffer a lot of wear and tear, putting players at risk for sprains and strains, ACL tears, and patellar tendonitis (jumper’s knee).
- Soccer injuries – Soccer players are generally prone to leg, ankle, and foot injuries like plantar fasciitis, ACL tears, and shinbone fractures.
SPORTS INJURY CONDITIONS & TREATMENTS
For more information on your specific injury, consult the pages below. You will find comprehensive information on common symptoms, how the condition is diagnosed, our recommended course of treatment, and expected recovery timelines for each condition.
- ACL Tear: Symptoms & Conditions | Surgery & Recovery
- Fracture: Symptoms & Conditions
- Weightlifter’s Shoulder: Symptoms & Treatment
- Rotator Cuff Tear: Symptoms & Treatment
- Meniscal Tears: Symptoms & Conditions
- Sprains & Strains: Symptoms & Conditions
- Achilles Tendonitis: Symptoms & Conditions
- Dislocated Shoulder: Symptoms & Conditions
- Hip Labral Tear: Symptoms & Conditions
- SLAP Tear: Symptoms & Tests | Surgery & Recovery
- Lower Back Pain: Symptoms & Conditions
- Patellar Tendonitis: Symptoms & Conditions
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome: Symptoms & Conditions